- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons diced onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 apple: peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 pear: peeled, cored, and diced
Step 1: In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, lemon juice, onion, mustard, and salt. Process until well blended. With machine still running, add oil in a slow, steady stream until mixture is thick and smooth. Add poppy seeds and process just a few seconds more to mix.
Step 2: In a large serving bowl combine the romaine lettuce, shredded Swiss cheese, cashews, dried cranberries, cubed apple, and cubed pear. Toss to mix, pour dressing over salad just before serving, and then toss again to coat.
Enjoy this simple starter from AllRecipes!