- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) package Neufchatel cheese (aka light cream cheese), cut into small cubes
- 1 1/4 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked rotisserie or left-over chicken
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
- Tortilla chips or strips, Monterrey Jack cheese, & sliced avocado for serving (optional)
Step 1: Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds longer.
Step 2: Add chicken broth, green chilies, cumin, paprika, oregano, coriander, cayenne pepper and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture just to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes.
Step 3: Drain and rinse in a fine mesh strainer or colander then measure out 1 cup. Set whole beans aside, transfer 1 cup beans to a food processor along with ¼ cup broth from soup, puree until nearly smooth.
Step 4: Add Neufchatel cheese to soup along with corn, whole beans and pureed beans and stir well. Simmer 5 – 10 minutes longer.
Step 5: Stir in chicken, fresh lime juice and cilantro. Serve with Monterrey Jack cheese, more cilantro, avocado slices and tortilla chips if desired.
Enjoy this chili recipe from Cooking Classy!