- 3 tablespoons The Spicy Olive's Butter Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium onion)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1-2 (12 ounces) russet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 pound fresh cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, if desired
- Scallions, chopped, for serving, optional
Step 1: Heat The Spicy Olive’s Butter olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, thyme, salt & garlic. Cover & cook, stirring occasionally until onion is very soft and beginning to caramelize, about 10-12 minutes.
Step 2: Add flour to Dutch oven and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add vegetable stock and diced potato. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir until vegetable broth has thickened. Add cauliflower and reduce heat to medium. Cook, uncovered, until potatoes and cauliflower are tender, about 20 minutes.
Step 3: Use an immersion blender to blend soup until it is thick and smooth. You can also use a blender to do this. If using a countertop blender, complete in batches and be very careful as the mixture can cause burns. Make sure to leave blender lid loose or leave out center stopper & cover with a towel to allow steam to escape.
Step 4: Ladle into soup bowls, top with chopped scallions & serve. If you are not vegan or using this recipe for a Meatless Monday, adding crumbled bacon is great addition.
Enjoy this smooth, vegan-friendly cauliflower soup from our friends at The Spicy Olive!