- 1 large, long rustic Italian loaf, such as ciabatta
- 2 cloves garlic, split in half crosswise
- 3 pounds ripe heirloom tomatoes, ranging in color from red or orange to yellow and green
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons flakey sea salt, such as Maldon, divided
- Freshly ground pepper
Step 1: Preheat grill to high heat. Trim top crust of loaf slightly to make a flat surface, then slice loaf horizontally to create 2 long halves. Grill bread until moderately charred, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Rub with garlic on both sides of each half loaf and place, cut sides up, on a platter.
Step 2: Cut tomatoes into thin slices. Collect accumulated juices and spoon onto bread. Drizzle bread with a generous 1/4 cup oil. Sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt; season with pepper.
Step 3: Shingle tomato slices on bread, arranging by color and covering each entire surface. Drizzle remaining oil over tomatoes and season with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cut tomato-topped bread into wedges and serve.