- 8 thick-cut bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups dried brown lentils
- 8 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Step 1: Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels, and set aside. Remove and discard all but 2 tablespoons of drippings from Dutch oven.
Step 2: Add onion, celery, and garlic to Dutch oven. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, and cook, stirring constantly, until toasted, about 1 minute. Stir in sweet potato, lentils, broth, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until lentils are tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Spoon soup evenly into 6 bowls. Top with reserved bacon pieces, and sprinkle with parsley.
Enjoy this easy, hearty soup from SouthernLiving!