- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons wildflower honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch or corn starch
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or cooking oil of your choice
- 1 small red onion, root & tip ends removed and cut into 1/4-inch thick wedges
- 3 medium carrots, peeled & cut into very thin rounds
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 bunch (1/2 pound) thin asparagus, tough ends removed & cut into 2-inch long pieces
Step 1: In a liquid measuring cup, combine the soy sauce, honey, arrowroot starch, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Whisk until blended and set aside.
Step 2: Warm the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and carrots and pinch of salt. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring every 30 seconds or so, until the onions have softened, about 4-5 minutes. If at any point you smell burning while making the stir fry, simply dial back the heat a bit.
Step 3: Add asparagus and cook, stirring every 30 seconds, until carrots are starting to caramelize on the edges and are easily pierced by a fork, about 3 minutes.
Step 4: Pour in the prepared sauce and cook, while stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened to your liking, about 30-60 seconds. Remove from heat and serve as a side dish as-is, or turn it into a main dish by serving it with rice, fried eggs, or tofu.
Enjoy this delicious stir fry features Spring veggies from Cookie+Kate!