- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach (or about 6 cups fresh chopped spinach)
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound ground chuck (or lean ground beef)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste (2 cans = 12-ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 drops hot sauce (or a dash of crushed red pepper flakes, optional)
- 1 (15-ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 2 eggs (slightly beaten)
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked and drain
Step 1: Place spinach in a 4-quart Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until wilted. Drain the spinach in a colander, pressing with a spoon to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
Step 2: Puree the tomatoes in a blender until smooth.
Step 3: Cook ground chuck, mushrooms, onion, and garlic in the same Dutch oven over medium heat for 10 minutes or until ground beef is browned. Pour off excess fat. Add the pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, water, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, oregano, basil, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and hot sauce or crushed pepper flakes, if using. Blend well. Cook over high heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to low; simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes.
Step 4: Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the drained spinach, remaining 2 tablespoons parsley, ricotta cheese, half of the mozzarella cheese, the beaten eggs, 4 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese, salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg; mix well.
Step 5: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 6: Pour 1 1/2 cups of the prepared sauce in a 9″x13″ baking pan (3-quart) or baking dish.
Step 7: Spread 1/3 cup of the spinach-cheese filling on a cooked lasagna noodle; roll up and place on the sauce in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining noodles.
Step 8: Top the rolls with the remaining sauce and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
Step 9: Bake in the preheated oven to 30 minutes.
Step 10: Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Return to the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
Step 11: Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy these easy lasagna roll-ups from TheSpruceEats!