- 2 pounds small carrots with tops, scrubbed, tops trimmed to 1/2"
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon English mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander or fennel
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, plus more
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus more
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
Step 1: Cook carrots in a large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender and skins easily rub off, about 5 minutes; drain. Transfer to a bowl of ice water. Using paper towels, gently rub carrots to remove skins and pat dry.
Step 2: Mix sugar, mustard powder, paprika, cumin, and coriander in a small bowl. Toss carrots with 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl. Add spice mixture; season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
Step 3: Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron. Working in 2 batches, cook carrots, turning occasionally, until deep brown all over, 6–8 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
Step 4: Meanwhile, place yogurt in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add harissa paste, 2 teaspoons thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest and gently swirl ingredients, stopping before yogurt turns pink
Step 5: Spoon harissa yogurt onto plates and top with carrots, more thyme, and more lemon zest. Serve with lemon wedges.
Do Ahead: Carrots can be cooked in boiling water and peeled 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
Enjoy these delicious spicy carrots from BonAppetit!