- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 lbs.)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/4 cup harissa paste
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Step 1: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in 2 batches, cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side; transfer to plate.
Step 2: Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings from the pan. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until beginning to darken, about 1 minute. Add chickpeas, harissa, and broth; bring to a simmer.
Step 3: Nestle chicken, skin side up, in chickpeas; transfer skillet to oven. Roast until chicken is cooked through, 20-25 minutes. Top with parsley and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.
Enjoy this spicy chicken & chickpea dish from BonAppetit!