- - FOR CAKE -
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil, warmed, slightly cooled
- - FOR FROSTING -
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Kosher salt
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly coat an 8×8″ baking dish with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper, leaving a 2″ overhang on all sides. Whisk all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl.
Step 2: Whisk eggs, pumpkin, brown sugar, and oil in another large bowl until smooth. Mix in dry ingredients. Scrape batter into prepared baking dish; smooth top.
Step 3: Bake cake until edges begin to pull away from sides of dish and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 30–35 minutes. Let cool.
Frosting and Assembly
Step 4: Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl just to combine. Reduce speed to low and gradually add sugar, then maple syrup and salt; beat until smooth. Spread frosting over top of cooled cake.
Enjoy this great cake recipe from BonAppetit!