- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups 1/2-inch carrot slices
- 3 leeks, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh lemon-thyme or fresh thyme, or 2-3 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh savory (optional herb)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 sprig fresh lemon-thyme or sprigs of fresh thyme (optional)
Step 1: Combine broth, carrots, leeks and bay leaf in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add lemon juice, chopped fresh thyme (or dried thyme), savory (if desired), salt and pepper. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes more or until carrots are tender. Cool slightly.
Step 2: Discard bay leaf. Process or blend carrot mixture in a food processor or blender, one-third at a time, until smooth. Return pureed mixture to the same saucepan; heat through.
Step 3: If desired, top individual servings with lemon slices and garnish with lemon thyme (or thyme sprigs).
Enjoy this warm, hearty soup from EatingWell!