- - FOR THE SANDWICHES -
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for work surface
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus 2 teaspoons melted
- 1 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- Sliced ham
- Apricot Mustard (below), sliced extra-sharp Cheddar, and lettuce leaves for serving
- - FOR THE APRICOT MUSTARD -
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Step 1: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Cut in cold butter with pastry blender or fork until coarse crumbs form.
Step 2: Make the biscuits: Stir buttermilk into flour mixture until just combined. Turn out dough onto a well-floured work surface and knead lightly 3 or 4 times. Pat into 3/4-inch-thick rectangle. Cut into 9 squares and transfer to a baking sheet, placing close together but not touching. Brush with melted butter. Bake until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
Step 3: Halve the biscuits and top with ham. Serve with Apricot Mustard, Cheddar, and lettuce.
Step 4: Make the apricot mustard: Whisk together apricot jam, whole-grain mustard, and Dijon mustard in a bowl. Makes 2/3 cup.
Enjoy these easy homemade sandwiches from CountryLiving!