- - FOR THE SALAD -
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 1/2 pound yellow wax beans
- Grapeseed oil or other neutral oil, as needed
- 1 pound chery tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 heads lettuce (such as red oak or Bibb), washed and torn
- 1/4 cup Nicoise olives, for garnish
- - FOR THE VINAIGRETTE -
- 1 shallot, very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
Step 1: Make the Salad: Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl, and bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Snap the ends off the green beans; place green beans in ice bath. Remove green beans, and add to boiling water; blanch until just al dente, about 1 minute. Shock the blanched green beans in the ice bath to stop the cooking process and set the bright color. Repeat process with the yellow wax beans.
Step 2: Preheat a grill to high (about 450 degrees F). Drizzle grapeseed oil on the beans, and grill in a grill basket, covered, until nicely charred, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from grill basket. Add tomatoes to grill basket, and grill, covered, until nicely charred, about 5 minutes.
Step 3: Toast the walnuts in a dry nonstick pan over low, or toast them in an oven at 350 degrees F until fragrant and golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
Step 4: Make the Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine the shallot, garlic, and white balsamic. Slowly whisk in the olive oil to make an emulsion. Add the lemon juice, thyme leaves, and salt and pepper to taste.
Step 5: Assemble the Salad: Combine the beans, tomatoes, walnuts, and lettuce in a large bowl, and toss with the vinaigrette. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with Nicoise olives.
Enjoy this flavorful grilled salad from Food&Wine!