- 3 pounds carrots with tops, scrubbed, tops trimmed to 1 inch
- 2 bunches spring onions or scallions, tops trimmed, halved lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 serrano chile, finely chopped, plus more sliced for serving
- 1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint, plus leaves for serving
- - SPECIAL EQUIPMENT -
- A spice mill or mortar and pestle
Step 1: Prepare a grill for medium-low heat. Toss carrots and spring onions on a rimmed baking sheet with 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt. Grill (covered if possible), turning often and moving to a cooler part of the grill if they are browning too quickly, until crisp-tender, 15 – 20 minutes.
Step 2: Meanwhile, toast cumin in a dry small skillet over medium heat, tossing often, until slightly darkened and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Let cool; grind in spice mill or with mortar and pestle. Mix in a medium bowl with copped serrano, yogurt, lime juice, chopped mint, and remaining 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt.
Step 3: Spoon yogurt onto a platter; arrange carrots and onions over. Top with mint leaves and sliced chile.
Do Ahead: Yogurt can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.
Enjoy this spicy & savory dish from BonAppetit!