- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- One 1-pound onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot or other hot sauce
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Eight 1/2-inch thick slices of firm white bread
- 8 slices of thick-cut bacon
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck (20% fat), formed into 4 patties the same size as the bread slices
- 3 ounces smoked Gouda, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup Sweet Barbecue Sauce
Step 1: In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the sliced onion and a pinch of salt, cover and cook, stirring a few times, until the onion is crisp-tender and just turning translucent, 5 minutes. Stir in the hot sauce and beef broth and remove from the heat. Season with salt.
Step 2: Heat a large griddle. Spread the butter on 1 side of each bread slice and griddle buttered side down over moderate heat until toasted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the toast to a plate. Add the bacon to the griddle and cook over moderate heat until crisp, about 4 minutes per side; drain on paper towels. Wipe off the griddle.
Step 3: Season the beef patties with salt and cook on the griddle over moderately high heat until medium-rare, about 2 minutes per side. Top each burger with 1/4 cup of smoked Gouda and cook until the cheese melts, 1 minute.
Step 4: Set the burgers on the unbuttered sides of 4 toast slices. Top with the bacon, onion, and Sweet Barbecue sauce. Close the burgers and serve with more barbecue sauce at the table.
Enjoy these delicious burgers from Food & Wine!