- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 12 ounces okra, stems removed, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Step 1: Line a baking sheet with paper towels. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Pour buttermilk into a medium bowl.
Step 2: Working in batches, toss okra in buttermilk, stirring to coat, then toss in flour mixture, making sure okra is well coated.
Step 3: In a medium skillet over medium heat, add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When oil is hot, work in batches and add okra, making sure to not overcrowd the pan. Fry 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to make sure all sides are golden and fried. Drain on prepared baking sheet. Add more oil between batches and allow time to reheat, as necessary.
Enjoy this crispy, spicy fried okra from Delish!