- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2" pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 12 ounces dried or 1 pound fresh fettuccine
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (about 3/4 cup), plus more for serving
- 4 large egg yolks *skip if looking to avoid raw eggs (ie. infants, elderly, pregnant women, and/or people with weakened immune systems)*
For this seasonal ( & vegetarian) twist on carbonara, stir the yolk into your portion while the pasta is still steaming hot. Serves 4.
Step 1: Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plate.
Step 2: Heat butter and remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add shallot and cook, tossing occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Toss in oregano, thyme, and asparagus.
Step 3: Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking liquid. Add pasta, 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid, and 3 ounce Parmesan to skillet. Cook, tossing and adding more pasta cooking liquid as needed, until sauce coats pasta, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
Step 4: Divide pasta among plates and top each with yolks and more Parmesan.