- 3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, on the vine
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 pound loose pork sausage
- 2 to 3 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered or 2 fresh globe artichokes, trimmed to the hearts, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 bunch fresh basil leaves
Step 1: In a large heavy saute pan add the sliced garlic and the clusters of cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put the pan over low-medium heat on the stove top and cook slowly until the tomatoes are just about falling apart and their juices have been extracted into the olive oil forming a nice sauce, about 35 to 40 minutes.
Step 2: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve 2 to 3 clusters of roasted tomatoes for garnish. Discard the vine stems and puree or squash the remaining tomatoes in the pan, with a spoon, so you have nice chunky pieces of tomato in all the delicious tomato juice and olive oil. Stir in the sugar. This will be the sauce for the pasta.
Step 3: In a large saute pan heat a 3-count of olive oil and saute the loose pork sausage until brown and caramelized. Remove and set aside on a plate while you cook the zucchini. To the same pan add some more olive oil and saute the zucchini until caramelized around the edges, about 2 minutes. Add the artichokes and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes. Add the sausage back to the pan and toss in pasta and the tomato sauce. Mix well over high heat to ensure everything is heated through and evenly coated. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter.
Step 4: To serve, sprinkle with Parmesan, basil leaves, and top with a cluster of roasted cherry tomatoes.
Enjoy this easy Farmer’s Market Pasta from FoodNetwork!