- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken, beef, or turkey
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 - 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped, use to your taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups (19 ounces) red enchilada sauce
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup dry long grain rice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for serving
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups torilla chips
- 1 - 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Sliced avocado and yogurt, for serving
Step 1: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Step 2: In a large oven safe skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the ground chicken and onion. Cook, breaking up the meat as it cooks, until the chicken is browned, about 5 minutes. Add the jalapenos, garlic, paprika, cumin, and salt; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the enchilada sauce, chipotle chili (if using), and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, stir in the rice. Place the lid on the skillet and turn the heat down to the lowest setting possible. Allow the rice to cook 15 minutes, until most of the liquid has cooked into the rice, but not all of it.
Step 3: Remove form the heat and stir in the cilantro and lime juice. Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese over the chicken/rice mixture. Add tortilla chips on top, pressing them gently into the cheese. Evenly spread on the remaining cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
Step 4: Serve topped as desired with avocado, cilantro, and yogurt.
Enjoy this easy one-skillet meal from HalfBakedHarvest!