- 2 whitefish fillets (cod, tilapia, and halibut work well), cut in half (about 6 to 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup crushed buttery crackers
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Sandwich buns, your preferred variety
- Cheese slices
- Tartar sauce (see below)
- - FOR THE TARTAR SAUCE -
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Step 1: Pour the buttermilk in a bowl. Season with salt & pepper, to taste. In another shallow bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, panko, and Old Bay seasoning.
Step 2: Heat about 1 inch of oil in a large skillet to about 350 degrees F. Season the fish with salt and pepper, then dip into the buttermilk and then into the cracker mixture.
Step 3: Place in the preheated oil and fry until golden and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the fish. Drain the fish on paper towels.
Step 4: To assemble the sandwich, spread the buns with tartar sauce. Add lettuce, the fish, then top with a slice of cheese and more tartar sauce, if desired.
Skip the drive-thru and enjoy this homemade crispy fish sandwich from 30 Seconds!