- 2 leeks, (about 4 ounces), white parts only, very thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 pound fresh or dried fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup homemade chicken stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 3 ounces cooked Parma ham, cut into 1/8-inch thick matchsticks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup small mint leaves, or chopped large leaves
Step 1: Place sliced leeks in a small bowl of cold water. Let stand for 5 minutes to rid them of dirt and sand. Lift sliced leeks out of water, leaving sand behind, and drain well. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
Step 2: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add leeks and garlic, and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Raise the heat to medium-high. Add chicken stock, cream, ham, and peas; season with salt and pepper. Let the sauce cook until it is reduced by half, stirring frequently until it has thickened, about 6 minutes.
Step 3: Salt the boiling water, add pasta, and cook until al dente, about 4 minutes for fresh. Drain fettuccine, and return to pot. Add sauce to fettuccine, and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with the mint, and serve.
Enjoy this creamy fettuccine recipe from Martha Stewart!