- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped; or about 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes)
- 2 to 3 cups cooked chicken (diced)
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup (undiluted)
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
- 5 cups chicken broth (low-sodium)
- 1 scant teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream or half-and-half
- 4 ounces medium noodles (cooked and drained)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Croutons, crackers, or biscuits, for serving
Step 1: In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter. Add onion and celery and sauté until onion is tender.
Step 2: Add the parsley, chicken, chicken broth, soups, poultry seasoning, thyme, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
Step 3: Add the frozen peas and carrots, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
Step 4: Stir in the cream or half-and-half, along with the cooked noodles; add salt to taste. Heat through.
Step 5: Serve the soup with crackers or hot baked biscuits, or top it with croutons or oyster crackers.
Enjoy this easy semi-homemade chicken noodle soup from TheSpruceEats!