- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- - FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING -
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line bottoms of two greased 9-inch round baking pans with parchment; grease paper. In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in cranberries and walnuts. Transfer batter to prepared pans.
Step 2: Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
Step 3: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar and orange zest until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over sides of the cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Refrigerate leftovers. For freezing storage, wrap cooled cake layers, then cover securely in foil; freeze. To use, thaw cakes before unwrapping. Assemble as directed.
Enjoy this easy-to-make cake from Taste of Home!