- 4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 5 cups sliced peeled baking apples (4 to 5 large)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- - FOR THE LEMON SAUCE -
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Step 1: In a skillet, brown the bread crumbs in 3 tablespoons butter. Place half the apples in a greased 8-inch square baking dish. Combine the brown sugar and nutmeg; sprinkle half over apples. Top with half the bread crumbs and dot with half of the remaining butter. Place the cranberries on top.
Step 2: Layer with remaining apples, brown sugar mixture, bread crumbs, and butter. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes more or until fruit is tender.
Step 3: For lemon sauce, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan; add water and lemon peel. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thick. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and butter until melted. Serve over warm Cranberry Betty.
Via Taste of Home