- - FOR THE MARINADE -
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly diced
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 chipotle pepper, plus one tablespoon of adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- - FOR THE BURRITO BOWL -
- 6 chicken thighs (boneless, skinless, or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts)
- 3 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack or Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup guacamole
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
Step 1: In a blender or food processor, combine all of the marinade ingredients until completely smooth.
Step 2: Add both the marinade and chicken to a bowl with a lid. Refrigerate for at least an hour or for a maximum of four hours. If you marinate for too long, the lime juice will actually start to cook the chicken.
Step 3: When you’re ready to cook the chicken, heat your grill pan on high heat.
Step 4: Sear the chicken on both sides, then turn the heat to medium-low and cook until the juices run clear, or the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Step 5: Remove the chicken from the grill pan and turn off the heat. Allow the chicken to rest for at least 5 minutes.
Step 6: Then chop the chicken to your desired size and serve it up on top of the rice along with any of the other toppings, like salsa, guacamole, beans, and shredded cheese.
Enjoy this homemade Chipotle burrito bowl from TheSpruceEats!