- - FOR THE HAND PIES -
- 6 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cherry brandy
- 4 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Dash of salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed and halved
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed and halved
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 large egg
- - FOR THE ICING -
- 2 2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- Freeze-dried strawberries, crushed, optional
Step 1: In a large saucepan, whisk 4 tablespoons water, sugar, brandy, cornstarch, lemon juice, tapioca, lemon zest and salt until combined. Add cherries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
Step 2: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough to a 14″ x 9″ rectangle. Cut out eight 3 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ rectangles. Repeat with remaining dough.
Step 3: Transfer 8 rectangles to parchment-lined baking sheets; spoon about 3 tablespoons of cherry mixture in the center of each. Whisk egg and remaining two tablespoons water. Brush edges of crust with egg wash. Top with remaining 8 rectangles; press edges with a fork to seal. Brush tops with egg wash; cut slits in tops.
Step 4: Bake until crust is golden brown and slightly puffed, 25-30 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine confectioners’ sugar, hot water, melted butter, extracts and salt; drizzle over pies. Garnish with freeze-dried strawberries if desired. Let stand until set.
Extra: Pastry for Double-Crust Pie (9-inches): Combine 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cut in 1 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water; tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour to overnight.
Enjoy these mouth-watering hand pies from TasteOfHome!