- - FOR THE CARAMELIZED ONIONS -
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large yellow onions, halved, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 - 2 tablespoons water (optional)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- - FOR THE SANDWICHES -
- 8 large sourdough slices, 1/2-inch thick
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
- 8 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese, at room temperature
- 1 jar sliced pickled beets, Aunt Nellie's brand preferred
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Step 1: To Make the Caramelized Onions: In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt butter and olive oil. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat to medium.
Step 2: Cook until onions are caramelized and a rich, deep golden brown, about 25 minutes, stirring often. Turn heat to medium-low and add water if onions are dry or start to scorch before caramelizing.
Step 3: Add sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes; cook 1 minute. Onions should be jammy and darkly caramelized when done. Remove to plate to cool.
Step 4: To Make the Sandwiches: Spread out bread slices on flat surface. Spread thin layer of mayonnaise on one side of each bread slice.
Step 5: Turn four bread slices over and spread goat cheese on plain side. Top goat cheese with Gruyere, even layer of beets, caramelized onions and arugula. Top with remaining bread; mayo side out. Secure with toothpicks, if desired.
Step 6: In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add two sandwiches, cover and grill until bottom of bread is toasted and cheese starts melting, about 5-7 minutes, checking often. Flip over and cook, uncovered, until cheese is melted and bottom of bread is toasted.
Step 7: Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
Serve alongside Housetrends‘ 3-Bean Tortellini Minestrone!
Original Recipe from Carlsbad Cravings