- 2 large heads Boston lettuce
- 3 tablespoons Zinfandel vinegar or other good-quality red-wine vinegar (Preferably "O" brand)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 1 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 1/4 pound Stilton, crumbled or shaved (with a cheese plane)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Quarter lettuce heads lengthwise, keeping stem ends attached. Carefully wash in cold water, then dry in a salad spinner.
Step 2: Whisk together vinegar, shallot, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, then add oils in a slow stream, whisking until combined.
Step 3: Spoon vinaigrette over lettuce wedges, then scatter with nuts and cheese.