- - FOR CAKE -
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (Rumford)
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored Jell-O
- 1 cup unsatled butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk (Vitamin D)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries, pureed & divided
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced (for decoration & in between layers)
- - FOR ICING -
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package of full fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- - FOR WHIPPED CREAM -
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour three 9 inch round cake pans. Line bottom of the pans with parchment paper, trace pan to for accurate cut. Grease and flour parchment paper.
Step 2: In a large bowl, beat sugar, gelatin and butter until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition. Combine flour and baking powder, add slowly to sugar mixture while alternating with milk. Fold in 1 teaspoon vanilla and half cup of pureed strawberries. Divide equally into three 9 inch cake pans.
Step 3: Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pans, then remove from pans and cool completely.
Step 4: To make the filling: Beat whipping cream, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla on high until stiff. Fill each layer with 1/3 of the whipped cream and 1 cup sliced strawberries, leaving 1 cup for topping.
Step 5: To make the frosting: Beat the butter, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup strawberry puree, and vanilla until creamy. Spread over the sides of the cake, and pipe and edge of frosting around the top of the cake.
Step 6: Spread remaining whipped cream on cake top. Top with 1 remaining cup of fresh sliced strawberries. Assemble just prior to serving for best results.