- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds of stewing beef or lamb, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons of beef bouillon
- 2 medium onions or large, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups of carrots, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup of celery, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 1/2 pounds of russet potatoes, cubed 2 inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cups of Guinness stout
Step 1: Heat oil over medium high heat in a heavy pot; Season meat with the salt and pepper to taste. Brown meat, in batches, on all sides; Return all the meat to the pot. Add water to just cover meat; cover pot with lid.
Step 2: Simmer meat until tender, 2-4 hours (this can be done in a slow cooker). Skim off any foam. If using a slow cooker, transfer all ingredients back to stock pot.
Step 3: Add onions, garlic, tomato paste, and beef bouillon to stock pot; heat to a boil.
Step 4: Add carrots, celery, potatoes, thyme, and Guinness; simmer 1 hour. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Step 5: The stew may be thickened with a flour roux if desired.
Enjoy a wee bit of fun on this much celebrated day!