- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, grated on large holes of a box grater
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck (15% fat)
- 6 thin strips bacon
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, then parchment paper.
Step 2: Heat oil over medium in a small skillet. Cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
Step 3: Meanwhile, bring ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, and cayenne to a boil in a small saucepan, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Transfer 2 tablespoons ketchup mixture to a blender; add broth and parsley and blend until smooth. Set remaining ketchup mixture aside.
Step 4: Add broth mixture, eggs, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, salt, and pepper to onion and garlic; mix to combine. Add beef and mix well with your hands to combine. Transfer meatloaf mixture to prepared pan and form into a long log (about 12″x5″), smoothing surface. Spread reserved ketchup mixture over top and drape bacon in a crisscross pattern over loaf, tucking underneath. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165° and bacon is crisp, 70–80 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Enjoy this delicious, bacon-enhanced meatloaf from BonAppetit!