Summer is nearly here, and fresh corn on the cob will be beckoning us to enjoy its plump, sweet kernels.
- 1/4 cup Vegenaise (feel free to substitute regular or light mayonnaise)
- 3 TB sour cream
- 3 TB minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 tsp juice from 1 lime
- 1 oz grated Cotija cheese (it's worth it to find this cheese instead of substituting something like Pecorino)
- 6 large ears of corn, husks and silk removed
Cook corn per your favorite method — boiling water; microwave; etc. Just don’t overcook it.
In a large bowl, combine Vegenaise, sour cream, cilantro, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, black pepper, cayenne, lime juice and cheese. Check seasoning for desired flavor.
Place cooked corn directly over stove flame, turning regularly with tongs to achieve char marks. Remove to platter when done.
Add charred corn to mixture and toss to coat evenly. Serve immediately. I like to provide additional lime wedges with the corn.